Saturday, July 4, 2009

Local flavor.

Had my first experience with Costa Rican sausage this week. I found mine in one of the many places where sausages are offered for consumption. Or you can take them home and consume them in the comfort of your own home. Having never had Costa Rican Sausage before I was curious to try one, or maybe even two or three at the same setting.

After studying several packages, handling them, squeezing and feeling the weight I selected the package that I thought would best suit my needs.

The sausages here are about that same length on average but tend to be a bit darker. also they are a bit thinner than I prefer. But I was determined to enjoy them, because if I want sausage while I am down here I need to get used to the local brands. You can get some American brands but they are hard to find and expensive.

It was not until I got my local sausage out of the package and started to heat it up for consumption that I noticed that there was an extra skin covering my sausage and by the time I noticed it it was too late. The sausage exploded from all the internal pressure of trying to expand through this outer skin. I was left with a mess to clean up. but now I know better.

Peel the outer skin off your hot dogs before you microwave them. What did you think I was talking about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are SUCH a tease!!

I see on the news that you are living in a happy country. I always thought happy was where YOU were happy. (Yeah, that's a bit convoluted, but you know what I mean.)

Signed,
Ruby Estelle

(have been away a bit, am back to read all the posts I missed!)