Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mi Hogar


Here is a picture of the house where I am staying. The high fence with gate and bars on windows is standard fare here. This leads to a comment amongst Gringos when walking through a neighborhood. "Don't Feed the Ticans!" Every building and school has these tall fences with gates and sometimes razor wire as well.

Ticans as they call themselves are a very security conscious lot. Most houses also have big dogs. And it seems if you have a firearms permit you can own damn near anything you want. I have seen MP5's and G3's for sale. Crime is a bit high here. I have had no problems but then again I try not to flash a lot of cash or easily liquidated items. Nor do I walk the streets much after dark. A little common sense goes a long way.

3 comments:

Kath said...

Well, um, it's, um, colorful. Nice bars.

Do you have a view of the water or anything?

Unknown said...

No view of the ocean. I am in the Central Valley near the capitol of San Jose. I am about a 2hr bus ride to the beach though. cost for bus ride. couple of dollars.

Kath said...

Oooops, I just said above if you hang out at the beach all day. So I guess that's a no.

So, uuh, then, what do you do all day? I mean, besides this. Don't you miss Texas?
Uh-oh, are you hiding out???