Saturday, May 23, 2009

Today in American History.

Without googling the following names do you recognize any of them?

John W Bucher
Eugene C. Moore
Harry L McGinnis
J.W. Harryman
Holt Coffey
Joe Crowson
H.D Murphy
Edward Bryan Wheeler
William Campbell
Howard Hall
Doyle Johnson
Malcolm Davis

Unless they were your grandfather's brother or cousin, or another distant relative you probably do not recognize any of them. All were regular people who lived as best they could and tried to do right by their families. So what do they all have in common?

All were murdered by Bonnie and Clyde and their gang. We all know who they are. Yet none of us know the victims. In all honesty, I only knew two of the names on the list before researching this article. DPS Troopers Edward B Wheeler and William Campbell. They had the misfortune of stopping on Dove Rd in SouthLake TX to assist in what they thought was a "motorist in distress" situation on Easter Sunday 1934. But instead they had rolled up on the Barrow gang. They were murdered and their bodies left in the road. This happened about 15 miles from my home in Saginaw TX. I have seen the memorial stone that marks the spot.

Today marks the anniversary of Bonnie and Clyde finally getting what they had coming. Four Texas law officers and 2 Louisiana cops riddled their car with over 100 bullets and thus ensured that the above list would grow no larger.

Maybe if our society remembered the victims more and the victimizers less there would be a bit less motivation for mass murders and spree killings?

Bonnie and Clyde: marking 75 years of burning in Hell today.

2 comments:

Kath said...

Actually left a comment on the previous post where I ref. to someone as the little crabby one, and that person didn't appreciate it. I was kidding and they didn't read it that way, that's my fault.

I apologized to him and I will to you, too.

And now I'll go away and leave you guys alone.

Banana Republican said...

Well I would hate for you to not drop by. If you quit reading my blog my readership will drop by half. LOL