Monday, May 25, 2009

Cinco de Mayo???

I went to San Jose today with a buddy and he said he knew a place that had good Mexican food and free refills(a phenomenon as rare here as all 9 oops I mean 8 planets lining up). OK I said, after all it is his town and he is buying. The next thing I know we are standing in front of Taco Bell. Good Mexican food? Taco Bell is one of those places that everyone eats at but no one will ever plead guilty to the fact. Well by now it is too late to argue so in we go.

I order combo numero cinco. Which I ala grande'd it and got a bigger drink and.......Fries!!!! Fries with chili, cheese, onions, maters and sour cream. Basically nachos with fries instead of chips. Of course you can put the above ingredients on darn near anything and render it edible. The taco was really good. Had REAL grated cheddar cheese on it and lots of onions. Just like I like em.

Now to the chicken quesodilla. Me and Mayonnaise have had a running feud going on now for about 35 years. I thought we had reached a truce. Details follow:

I will tolerate you in my egg, tuna, and tater salad. You are permitted in my deviled eggs, but if you are to appear in anything else I eat, you are required to give notice.

This armistice has worked well for me and for Mayo. Until today. In a sneak attack that would make a Cylon envious there was Mayo on my quesodilla de pollo . Good thing the fries and the taco were tasty. My buddy Armond the Tico asked me, "Something wrong with your quesodilla?" His English is much better than my Spanish.

I say , "Yeah there is Mayo on my quesodilla."

He says, " Of course there is." in a tone that suggested I had stated an observation as universally accepted as the sky being blue.

I proceed to explain to him that only 60% of the people on death row in Texas are there for murder. 30% are there for making mild chili with beans and 10% are there for 1st Degree serving of a Tex/Mex --Mexican food product containing Mayo.

"IF you don't want it, I'll eat it." he says and proceeds to consume this abomination with gusto.

Next time, I pick the restaurant.

3 comments:

Yours Truly said...

i have to say that, though i know nothing about you, and though this could seem creepy.....after reading this post i have to say: you're amazing! i love your writing style and what you wrote about. seriously i love this!

Banana Republican said...

Please reread I just edited it so it makes a bit more sense. And thanks for the encouragement. I try.

El Capitan said...

You'd think they'd be more circumspect with mayonnaise in a tropical climate...